Choose the new 2022 cluster name!

Dear HPC community,

We solicit you to help us name the new computing cluster that will be bought to replace Baobab in 2022.

We are looking for a fun, easy, meaningful or original name of a tree or a plant that goes along with our current clusters Baobab and Yggdrasil. And choose something easy to spell!

Here are some ideas: Hyperion, Eucalyptus, Blackbutt, Abies … Do you have any other suggestions? Please let us know by leaving a comment to this topic until Friday the 8th of December.

In a second phase, you will be able to vote for your favorite name. Final result to be announced for Christmas
Many thanks in advance for your contribution!

The HPC team

3 Likes

SeShat - goddess of wisdom, knowledge and writing
Orunmila - spirit of wisdom, knowledge, and divination

1 Like

Mycelium? Not so easy to spell though.

1 Like

Hello all, I suggest Bamboo, simple as Baobab and it share all the letters of the old name.

2 Likes

Kapok: From wikipedia “giant tree […] embodiments of the Axis mundi, sustaining the entire cosmos by linking heaven, earth and the underworld”.

4 Likes

How about Wawona: (ref)?

3 Likes

UNIGE-HPC3?
Or, if it will replace baobab… UNIGE-HPC1?

Whatever name will be far better than “Yggdrasil”

3 Likes

Platane - common tree in Geneva around the lake, and a particularly old one is in front of uni-Bastion, like a guardian of the university

5 Likes

My inspired colleague Pierre proposes:
Telperion: (the Tolkien tree)
Pando: the biggest clonal colony of tree in the world… nice image for a cluster :slight_smile:

Have a nice day,
Julien

7 Likes

ElGordo = (“the fat one”) is the biggest cluster found in the distant universe. Aligned with our expectations from the Unige’s cluster :wink:

Laniakea = Is the galaxy supercluster that is home of Milky Way.

Sage (and then the one after that can be called Onion :wink:

Bonsai
Ficus
Alga
ALPine
Maple

Why do you dislike Yggdrasil ? :cry:

UNIGE-HPCX is little bit sad :frowning:

1 Like

Oak
Easy and short. BTW was yygdrasil easy to spell?

1 Like

If you want to proceed with the same “philosophy” in naming, then from my side I would suggest
Sequoia or Kauri

Too late: Sequoia (supercomputer) - Wikipedia

1 Like

Acacia ?

Name has the same spelling in French, English, Spanish, etc. And there’s a whole area in Geneva called “Les Acacias”

3 Likes
1 Like

Irminsul, bonsai, Whomping Willow

Irminsul (sacred tree in saxon mythology)
Broceliande (legendary enchanted forest of Merlin)

1 Like