Choose the new 2022 cluster name!

Sapin! A tree “bien de chez nous”, a symbol of our local mountains.

In the theme of sacred trees which are not hard to spell, there is
Banyan

• Banyan trees are large majestic trees with a network-like log because they grow as parasites on top of a host tree. In some mythologies they are said to host spirits and deities.
    It is thematically and morphologically reminiscient of Baobab.
2 Likes

Pando seems indeed very appropriate for a cluster

Ceiba, one of the iconic giants of the amazon rainforest, masive roots and masive branches
Or second ‘Kapok’ from @Nicolas.Billot, also recognized as the biggest tree in the amazon

1 Like

Sycamore or maybe Kayano

So cool!!
I like Adonis (not a tree, but all plants are rooted :wink: )
And look at here (CONTENTdm) the nice root drawings from Wageningen university if you need inspiration!
Have a nice day,
Julie

Embla - the female half of the first human couple according to Norse mythology. Not a plant but she was carved from a tree trunk…

Banyan: A tree-like baobab but with never-ending branches.

xylo

et les administrateurs s’appelleront “xylophore

2 Likes

I would suggest the following:

• Treey McTreeface (as the famous brittish boat named by the internet ref)

• Ent (as in the lord of the rings ref)

• Groot (as in the guardians of the galaxy ref)

2 Likes

I am indeed biased by this, but I propose Tnjri, the name given to the largest and 2041-year-old oriental plane tree located in Martouni, Artsakh.

1 Like

Groot is a funny one, I like it!

1 Like

Better to have compréhensible names:
COMPUNIGE
UNIGEAR

Hi Adrien,

My main problem with “Yggdrasil” (and from colleagues around as well) is that it’s not easy to grasp and/or remember. We use to refer to the UNIGE clusters as “baobab” and the “unpronounceable” one.

Hi julian,

Yet it is one of the most famous trees in the world. Yggdrasil is the world tree which support the nine realm in the scandinave Mythologie (more info on wikipedia :wink:)

For the pronounciation, you can use google translate (english), you will see it’s not as hard as you might think ( “unprounceable one” is hard)

1 Like

Hi

I am not going to suggest something specific, but I think unique and memorable names (like Yggdrasil) are the best.
Names which are too common may cause confusion.
I appreciate that unique names are harder to learn, but they are easier to remember, at least for me.
I hope something like Yggdrasil, among many great suggested options, is selected.

Regards

Volodymyr

2 Likes

Kauri
Manuka
Pohutukawa (lol)

1 Like

Hello
I suggest GINGKO or GINGO, it sounds funny!
Cheers

Maura

rhone or arve

Deku

Loblolly

Mangrove

Laurelin or Telperion (as Julien suggested)

1 Like