Matlab on Baobab with OpenOnDemand

Dear HPC team,

I’m contacting you because I’m having an issue using Matlab on Baobab with OpenonDemand.

All my files/scripts are located on my $HOME/scratch.

I chose the public iterative cpu partition, with 1 node and 6 cores, for 8 hours to run a Matlab script.
However, when I attempt to run it, it constantly crashes with the message: “session in a bad state”. The data file I am using is 1.7 GB, and the script performs several iterations with this data. The last session I tried was job ID 10209205 .

I have also tried using other partitions, but the webpage TurboVNC disconnects every time.

FYI, I also tried to run the same script reducing the data (47.8MB) and using the public iterative cpu partition, with 1 node and 4 cores, for 8 hours, and it worked perfectly well ( job ID 10208383 if it’s useful).

I guess the problem could come from the data size then? I am wondering if I am selecting the correct partition, number of cores, or the appropriate amount of memory per job.

Any guidance would be very appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your help!!

Best,
Jade

Hi @Jade.Awada

You have exceeded your memory allocation (OUT_OF_MEMORY)

(baobab)-[root@login2 ~]$ sacct -X -o Jobid%15,jobname,account,user,nodelist,ReqCPUS,ReqMem,ntask,start,end,Elapsed,state%20  -j 10209205
          JobID    JobName    Account      User        NodeList  ReqCPUS     ReqMem   NTasks               Start                 End    Elapsed                State 
--------------- ---------- ---------- --------- --------------- -------- ---------- -------- ------------------- ------------------- ---------- -------------------- 
       10209205 sys/dashb+    sinanaj     awada          cpu007        4     12000M          2024-05-23T18:13:57 2024-05-23T18:21:51   00:07:54        OUT_OF_MEMORY 

You need to ask more memory (you can try with 16GB)

I invite you to read this Best Pratice about resource allocations, to help you :

https://doc.eresearch.unige.ch/hpc/best_practices?s[]=resource#stop_wasting_resources

PS: At some point, using the interactive session has its limits, and it is preferable to run jobs asynchronously with sbatch (slurm batch).

Example:

1. Writte your Matlab script
(baobab)-[alberta@login2 Matlab_project]$ cat simple_script.m
% simple_script.m
n = 5;
result = sum((1:n).^2);
fileID = fopen('output.txt', 'w');
fprintf(fileID, 'The sum of the squares of the first %d integers is : %d\n', n, result);
fclose(fileID);
exit;
  1. Write your sbatch, specifying the necessary resources, loading the required modules, then run the command with slurm.
(baobab)-[alberta@login2 Matlab_project]$ cat simple_script.sbatch
#!/bin/bash
#SBATCH --job-name=simple_matlab_job
#SBATCH --output=simple_matlab_job.out
#SBATCH --error=simple_matlab_job.err
#SBATCH --time=00:05:00
#SBATCH --partition=debug-cpu
#SBATCH --ntasks=1
#SBATCH --cpus-per-task=1
#SBATCH --mem=1G

module load MATLAB
srun matlab -nodisplay -nosplash -nodesktop -r "simple_script; exit"
  1. Add your job in the queue:
(baobab)-[alberta@login2 Matlab_project]$ sbatch simple_script.sbatch
Submitted batch job 10235116
  1. wait the result drinking your favorite coffee (for me it’s roasted hazelnut latte)

Job pending → Preparing my Latte

(baobab)-[alberta@login2 Matlab_project]$ sac -j 10236031
          JobID    JobName    Account      User        NodeList   NTasks               Start                 End      State 
--------------- ---------- ---------- --------- --------------- -------- ------------------- ------------------- ---------- 
       10236031 simple_ma+      burgi   alberta   None assigned                      Unknown             Unknown    PENDING

Job Running → Drinking my Latte

JobID    JobName    Account      User        NodeList   NTasks               Start                 End      State 
--------------- ---------- ---------- --------- --------------- -------- ------------------- ------------------- ---------- 
       10236031 simple_ma+      burgi   alberta          cpu001          2024-05-24T11:32:48             Unknown    RUNNING

Job Completed → FInish my Latte and read my result

10236031 simple_ma+      burgi   alberta          cpu001          2024-05-24T11:32:48 2024-05-24T11:33:14  COMPLETED
(baobab)-[alberta@login2 Matlab_project]$ cat output.txt 
The sum of the squares of the first 5 integers is : 55

Best Regards

Hi @Adrien.Albert,

Thank you for your reply and your help!

It’s all good then!!!

Best,
Jade

1 Like